Thursday, July 23, 2009

Inspi(RED) to Write

So here I am, sitting at Caribou, free drink in hand (thanks Facebook apps!) and thinking about how much I really love my life right now. Even though I have no job, no money, and I'm living at home, I have great friends, some great family, (*cough*, jk I love you all) and great caffeine. 
I have recently started a diary of my own. My friend Jess and I decided we were going to keep a diary of random things and read parts to each other for accountability. Not that we're exactly struggling with anything, just as a way to help each other live a more healthy life, mind, body and spiritually. Getting a diary has always been a struggle for me because I need to find the perfect little book to spill my guts to and keep me motivated to keep writing in it. I search for a diary like a look for school supplies. My one major rule is NO RED. Don't get me wrong, I love the color red. It's just that as the years have gone by I've seen so much red on my school work and had red be associated with a negative bank account that I really don't want to see it more in my free time, or in the case of school work-before I even turn in an assignment. It just doesn't settle right. I go for more of a plain black or brown with minimal decoration on it, usually an inlet or engraving of some kind in the leather. Surely nothing shiny or overly sweet, that is for what's inside the diary, what I write. Also, there can be NO LINES. I want room to draw, the freedom to express myself without words and to draw little designs of nothing in particular whilst I'm supposed to be paying attention to a lecture. 
So, you can imagine my surprise when I ended up loving the little diary Jess gave me: a "pocket sized" RED faux-suede diary with a medium sized rhinestone heart on the top middle front of it, complete with LINED pages. And I love it! I have successfully written in it four consecutive days now, skipped the fifth and today is the sixth. I'm doing it and not forgetting-Huzzah! I like this little book of mine because as much as I thought I was resisting these attributes of my diary, they fully somehow describe me. I've always had this secret flair for something bright and to have this eye-catching spark about me (which I explain in the red). As for the rhinestoned heart...come on, I used to figure skate. I'm biologically designed to love a lil' sparkle here and there. And the lines? Well as much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I really need order to motivate me and to keep my schedule and priorities in line. I'd love to say I'm a completely free spirit and can do things on my own time and will, which I can most of the time, but sometimes I just need that extra push for organization to get me to do what I'm supposed to in a timely manner. So now that you all know about the design of my diary, I shall tell you what's in it! 


(Just KIDDING, like I'd ever do that.)

So on page 5, there is this great description of this one guy I like...


Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How long will it take you to finish up the first book? Let me know, so I can get you what you described at first. Sparkly hearts... gag. Why couldn't it have been a sparkly circle or rhombus? It had to be a heart, didn't it? Otherwise, I think you writing in a diary is an excellent idea! You have too many hidden thoughts that must come out! Release the inner anger!